Made by Local Roots NYer @emanstadt
Local Roots organic beets, any color
Homemade or purchased pie crust
1. Peel and thinly slice beets into 1/4" thick half moons by slicing the beet to make round shapes, then halving. Blanch them to make them pliable by dropping them in a pot of boiling hot water for 5 minutes then dunk in a bowl of ice water. Place them on towel to dry.
2. Roll out pie crust. Cut dough into 1.5” wide strips that are about 6” long.
3. Line top half of dough with the straight edge of the beet half moon, overlapping each one just slightly until the whole strip is lined with beets. About half of the beets half moons should be poking out of dough - these are your rose petals
4. Fold up the bottom half of the dough and fold it up to meet the top half of the dough - imagine folding a piece of paper in half. The dough should hold the beets inside like the pocket of a folder. Gently roll the dough from one end to the other, creating the rose.
5. Press dough against itself at the end to seal. Place each beet rose in a greased muffin tin. Bake in a 425 oven until dough is golden brown.
6. Serve with beet hummus and goat cheese, and a leave of spinach for garnish. Impress all your friends. ;)
Delicious, farm-fresh harvests are closer than you think.