Blue Potato, Mushroom & Caramelized Onion Flatbread Pizza
While I love trying out the pizza shops all over New York, it’s sometimes nice to make one at home. With this easy recipe, I’ve opted for a flatbread as a base so you don’t have to fret about yeast. It rises a bit with the help of baking powder and then you can go to town with toppings. This combo of blue potato, caramelized onions, mushrooms and cheese makes for a unique take on a veggie delight.
1 tablespoon + ¼ cup olive oil, divided
2 medium-sized yellow onions, sliced
1 quart water
1 tablespoon kosher salt
3 small blue potatoes
4 cloves organic garlic, minced
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 large mushroom cap, sliced
Cilantro sprigs and zest of 1 lime, for garnish
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
Cornmeal, for dusting
*you can also cheat and use our organic pizza dough!
- In a skillet, cook 1 tablespoon of oil and sliced onions together over medium-high heat until the onions are golden brown. Stir occasionally to avoid burning. It can take up to 25-30 minutes to caramelize onions. Once they are done, set them aside to cool completely.
- In a small pot, boil a quart of water and kosher salt. Once it starts boiling, add whole blue potatoes and boil until they’re cooked, 10-12 minutes. Drain the water and let the potatoes cool completely. Slice thin and into half-moon pieces.
Pizza Dough + Assembly:
This recipe was created by Local Roots Recipe Contributor @theduskykitchen.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Dust your 12x18 baking sheet with cornmeal. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients, warm water and 2 tablespoons of olive oil with a wooden spoon. Take the dough and knead on a clean surface until it becomes nice and smooth, 3-5 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough thin and shape it into a long oval to place onto your 12x18 baking sheet.
- Dock the surface of the rolled out dough by pricking it all over with a fork.
- Bake flatbread for 5-7 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown.
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven and brush the flatbread’s surface with 1/4 cup of olive oil. Proceed with covering them with toppings in the following steps.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic on top, and follow with the mozzarella cheese.
- Scatter blue potato pieces, feta, mushroom slices and dollops of caramelized onions on top.
- Put flatbread pizza back in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is browned. Garnish with sprigs of cilantro and lime zest. Serve warm.