Recipe by Claire Matern
Stock (veggie or chicken)
- Cut the cabbage in half, core, and wedge. Cut the wedge into cubes and set aside.
- Peel and slice the carrots. Clean and finely chop the leek.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large pan and add the leek. Cook until it’s softened.
- Add the sliced carrots and the cubed cabbage. Pour the stock into the pan, until it just covers the cabbage. Season with salt & pepper, cover, and cook on a low/medium heat until the cabbage and carrots are soft.
- Best served with mashed potatoes.
- To make mashed potatoes, scrub and cube 3-4 large potatoes (red skin are my favorite) and add to a pot of salted boiling water. Cook until fork tender, drain and return to the pot. Add milk until it’s halfway up the potatoes and a knob of butter and mash until smooth. Season to taste and serve with the braised cabbage and carrots.