1. Separate Broccoli Rabe leaves from stem. Slice stems into 1 cm pieces. Blanch broccoli rabe.
2. Sauté garlic in oil then add broccoli rabe. Season with salt, pepper flakes and lemon.
3. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes. Whisk until blended. Pour the dressing over the leaves and gently massage the dressing into the leaves until they are all lightly coated.
4. To cook the refried beans: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil until shimmering. Add the salt. Cook, stirring often, until the shallot is tender and turning translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and chili powder and cook, while stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the drained beans and water. Let the mixture come to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often, and reducing heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Remove from heat and mash the beans with a potato masher, pastry cutter or fork until the mixture is thick and spreadable.
5. To cook the quesadillas: Spread the bean mixture evenly over each tortilla and top with jam. Warm a medium-to-large skillet over medium heat. Transfer one tortilla to the warmed skillet and sprinkle about 1/4 of the cheese over the bean mixture. Spread a handful of marinated broccoli rabe leaves over one-half of the tortilla, leaving any large buds in the bowl. Once the cheese is melting, fold the cheesy side over the broccoli rabe. Brush the top of the quesadilla lightly with oil. Once the cheese is fully melted, flip the quesadilla, and brush the top with oil. Let each side cook until golden and crisp, flipping as necessary. Transfer the cooked quesadilla to a plate, and repeat for remaining quesadillas.
6. Let the cooked quesadillas rest for a few minutes to set the cheese, then use a pizza cutter or sharp chef’s knife to slice each one into three wedges. Serve with any remaining marinated broccoli rabe or beans on the side, as well as salsa verde and/or guacamole for dipping.
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
Delicious, farm-fresh harvests are closer than you think.