Burdock & Leek Gratin
Recipe by Local Roots member @clairematern
- Milk or cream
- Cheese (anything that grates and melts well)
- Bread crumbs
- To make your own bread crumbs, roughly cube a couple slices of bread and blitz in a food processor until a small crumb. Season with salt & pepper and paprika (optional). Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- To prep to gratin: have a bowl of cold water with lemon juice ready before you start prepping the burdock. Peel and cut the burdock into pieces (about 1 ½ inches) and add to the bowl of water (this stops oxidizing).
- Clean the leeks, and cut in half down the middle and then cut in half or thirds.
- Add the burdock pieces and leeks to a baking dish in layers.
- Season with thyme, salt and pepper. Pour milk or cream into the baking dish until it’s about ½ way up the veggies. Sprinkle with cheese and pop into a 350F oven until it’s bubbling and the veggies are soft (about 30 mins).
- Remove from the oven, cover with more cheese (optional) and the bread crumbs and return to the oven until the topping is brown and crunchy (about 15-20 mins).