By longtime community member jenna wortham (aka @jennydeluxe)
1 head of Local Roots organic cabbage
1. Chop up the cabbage and put it in bowl with some generous sprinkles of salt.
2. Massage the cabbage until it starts to yield and wilt. if you want, mix in some spices (ex. turmeric, cumin seeds and caraway seeds, but you can get wild and add sumac, peppercorns, garlic, bay leaves. Get creative!).
3. Pack the cabbage into a clean jar. be sure to weigh the cabbage down like a clean jar lid, a smaller jar, or baggie filled with water.
4. Cover with a clean towel and secure with a rubber band. Keep your kraut out of the light; it should be ready to eat in 3ish days! Your concoction will froth and bubble as it ferments, but keep a close eye out for mold.
5. Enjoy! let us know how yours turned out in the comments below.
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
Delicious, farm-fresh harvests are closer than you think.