Caramelized Onion & Chard Pizza
The beauty of this pizza is that it’s a one pan meal, but you use the pan in 3 shifts
What You’ll Need
- Pizza dough (store bought is fine, get GF or your preference)
- Red onions
- Baby rainbow chard
- Sweet Italian sausage (optional)
- Cheese (mozzarella or any good melting cheese)
What You’ll Do
- Thinly slice the red onions. Then heat a splash of olive oil over a medium/high heat in a skillet before adding the onions. Turn the heat down and let them slowly caramelize. Stir often.
- When the onions are done, remove them to a bowl and add another small splash of olive oil to the skillet. Add a clove or two of thinly sliced garlic and the Italian sausage (Tip: take the casing off 1 or 2 sausages if you can’t find loose mince) and allow the sausage to brown. Then, take 2 or 3 good handfuls of baby rainbow chard, rinse under the tap, shake the excess water off and add to the skillet (the residual water will help wilt the leaves)
- While the sausage and chard is cooking, thinly slice 1 or 2 fresh tomatoes and grate the cheese you’re using. And preheat the oven to 550F (or as high as yours go)
- Once the sausage is browned and the chard is wilted, add to a bowl and add another small splash of olive oil to the skillet. Stretch or roll the dough to fit the skillet and add to the bottom of the skillet (have the heat on your stove on the lowest setting now)
- Layer the sliced tomatoes, then add some onions, the sausage and chard mixture, and then the grated cheese. Allow the pizza to cook on the stove top for about 5 minutes (this will help the bottom cook) and then pop in the hot oven.
- Allow to cook for about 5 minutes and then check on the pizza--swivel the pan so there’s even heat distribution, and allow to cook for another 3-5 minutes. When the crust is a deep golden brown color and when lightly tapped it sounds hollow, your pizza is done!