Dandelion and Beet Hand Pies
Dough recipe from Hetty McKinnon’s Book Family
What you’ll need
300g Greek yogurt
375g self-raising flour
1 bunch dandelion greens
1 stalk of wild garlic
What You’ll Do:
To make the dough:
- In a large bowl stir a big pinch of salt into the yogurt. Then, tablespoon by tablespoon stir the flour into the yogurt. It’s a stiff dough, don’t be afraid to use your hands to work the flour in and knead the dough. Wrap tightly in clingfilm and pop in the fridge to rest for at least an hour.
- To make the filling: clean and finely chop the wild garlic and start that sweating over a low/moderate heat in a skillet with a splash of olive oil
- Clean and finely chop the dandelion greens and add them to the pan. Stir and season with salt & pepper. Add a splash of lemon juice and allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Peel and grate a beet into the mixture, stir and taste. Adjust the seasoning and lemon juice if desired. Once the greens are wilted remove from the heat and add to a large bowl to cool
- Once cooled a bit (not all the way but you don’t want add the cheese when it’s still piping hot) add some ricotta and stir well.
- Cut the dough into 4 equal balls, roll out into 8-10 inch circles and dollop some filling in the middle. Fold the dough and crimp closed with a fork or by rolling and pinching as you would a pie crust.
- Heat a skillet over a high heat, brush the pie with olive oil and cook until brown and crispy. Brush the top side with olive oil, flip and allow that side to cook until also brown and crispy. Serve hot or at room temperature. They store well in the fridge and can be reheated.