Gruyere, Fig Jam & Wilted Gai Lan Sandwich
4 ounces gruyere cheese, cut into thin slices
4 teaspoons softened butter
4 slices rustic, Italian-style bread, cut about 1/2-inch-thick
4 tablespoons Trade St Strawberry Chipotle & Fig Jam
4 ounces Gai Lan, cleaned and trimmed
1 tbsp. olive oil
1. Heat oil over medium heat. Lightly saute greens until just wilted. Set aside to cool.
2. Divide the butter evenly and spread over each slice of bread on one side
3. Flip the bread over (butter side down) onto a clean cutting board. Spread 1 tablespoon of the fig jam over each slice. Set aside 2 of the slices of bread.
4. On the remaining bread add 1 ounce of gruyere to each slice (on the jam side) followed by 2 ounces of the greens over each.
5. Add 1 more ounce of cheese to both, and top with the reserved slices of bread (jam side down).
6. Preheat a griddle (or large skillet) to medium-high heat. (see below if you don't have a griddle)
7. Grill the sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on one side (or until the bread turns golden and the cheese softens), then flip and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes until golden.
8. Remove the sandwiches from the griddle and cut each sandwich in half. Serve warm.
If you don't have a griddle or would prefer the oven, preheat oven to 350 and warm sandwich til cheese melts
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
Delicious, farm-fresh harvests are closer than you think.