Lion's Mane "Crab" Cakes
Recipe from Local Roots subscriber Stephanie Wright
- 1/2 pound (2 pints) Lion's Mane Mushroom
- 2 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbs Greek yogurt (organic mayonnaise can be used as a substitute)
- 1 cup organic bread crumbs
- 1 egg (you can easily make this recipe vegan by replacing this with a "flaxseed" egg)
- 2-3 tbs fresh chopped parsley
- Lime juice from 1/4 lime
- 3-4 tbs coconut oil (or alternative) for cooking the cakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dice Lion's Mane mushroom into large pieces. Toss in olive oil and roast in oven at 350 degrees for 30-40 mins. Turn halfway through. The mushroom will shrink substantially as the water cooks out.
- When ready, put mushroom food processor and pulse 4-5 times until mix is broken down in smaller chunks.
- In a separate bowl mix together the egg, Greek yogurt, lime, chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Use a whisk to evenly mix the wet ingredients. Add breadcrumbs and pulsed mushroom mixture.
- Use an ice cream scoop or tablespoon (depending on the desired size of the crab cakes) to measure equal portions of crab cakes. With your hands, form into cakes.
- Heat coconut oil in non-stick pan on medium heat and fry until lightly browned on both sides.
- Finish with a touch of sea salt