1 cup Makrut Lime Leaves (Kaffir Lime Leaves), roughly chopped (these are typically available at Asian grocery stores or can be purchased on Amazon)
⅔ cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
6 large egg yolks
Juice of 2 limes
1 pound local rhubarb, peeled, rinsed, and cut into small chunks
1 cup granulated sugar
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into slices
1/4 cup cold water
1 lemon, halved and juiced, seeds reserved
Container to store ice cream in freezer (medium sized glass Tupperware)
1. In a food processor, pulse together lime leaves with granulated sugar until colored green.
2. In a small pot, simmer heavy cream, milk, citrus sugar and salt until sugar completely dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat. In a separate bowl, whisk yolks. Whisking constantly, slowly whisk about a third of the hot cream into the yolks, then whisk the yolk mixture back into the pot with the cream.
3. Return pot to medium-low heat and gently cook until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 170 degrees on an instant-read thermometer). Remove from heat and allow custard to steep for 30 minutes.
4. Stir in the juice. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Cool mixture to room temperature. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight
5. After ice cream mixture has chilled for min 4 hrs, churn in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
6. While ice cream base is chilling, make rhubarb sauce
3. Remove the lemon halves, ginger and seeds seeds and toss them in the compost or trash.
Once the lime ice cream is made, layer ice cream and rhubarb sauce in your container of choice. Place about one third of the ice cream in the bottom of a container and then pour in about half the rhubarb sauce. Next, place another third of the ice cream on top of the rhubarb sauce. Top with the remaining sauce and then the rest of the ice cream. Cover and place in the freezer for several hours or until firm.
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
Delicious, farm-fresh harvests are closer than you think.