Oyster Mushroom Tacos
Every time I prepare mushrooms, I'm reminded that with these guys, I could probably be a vegetarian. The blue oyster mushroom is no exception. The deep meaty flavor of this shroom makes it the perfect meat substitute, rounding out a dish with hearty and full flavor. To bring that flavor out even further, this preparation uses tamari, a gluten-free soy sauce, which adds a slightly stronger flavor.
This simple recipe is an excellent addition to your taco feast. Grill up our steak tacos, make a batch of homemade flour tortillas and there’s something on the table for everyone!
½ lb. blue oyster mushrooms
½ tsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. tamari
Roasted Sweet Pepper Summer Relish:
4 mini sweet peppers
1/2 avocado, peeled and sliced into cubes
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced (like you’re putting them on a tiny sandwich)
Kernels from ½ ear of corn
Salt & pepper to taste
Recipe by Local Roots Volunteer Sophie Florman
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly marinade 4 mini sweet peppers with 2 tbsp. EVOO, salt & pepper.
- Roast marinated peppers in the oven for 15 minutes, flipping and rotating every 5 minutes to prevent burning. Once roasted through, remove from the oven, transfer onto a plate and place in the refrigerator immediately.
- To prepare the mushrooms, remove stems and cut caps into slivers
- Heat 1/2 tsp. of olive oil over low-medium heat. Add mushrooms. Stir continually to avoid burning.
- When mushrooms have begun to cook and are slightly soft, but not yet brown, add 1 tbsp. tamari. Continue to cook until the mushrooms edges are light brown, they are cooked through and slightly crispy on the edges. Remove from heat and let chill.
- While mushrooms are chilling, mix together sliced cherry tomatoes, corn and avocado. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove sweet peppers from the fridge and slice. Add to tomato, corn, avocado mixture and salt again for taste.
- For assembly, we recommend heating a tortilla straight over the grill, and piling on as mushrooms and relish as you please. Add a little hot sauce if you’re feeling adventurous.