Recipe by Local Roots recipe contributor, Emily Hanhan, @nomnivorous
3 cups sliced rhubarb
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, combine all ingredients. Bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl. If you have cheesecloth, line the strainer with the cheesecloth.
- Pour the rhubarb into the strainer and let the mixture drain for at least 15 minutes.
- Transfer the syrup to jar(s) or bottles. Refrigerate for up to one month. Pour on pancakes or waffles, stir into seltzer or mix up cocktails!
- Don't throw out the rhubarb pulp - it's candied rhubarb goodness. Stir it into ice cream, add it to muffin batter or eat it straight up.