Savory Plum Sauce
Recipe by Local Roots recipe contributor, Emily Hanhan, @nomnivorous
- 1 pound (16 ounces) plums, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (2 fluid ounces) rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (1 fluid ounce) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic clothes
- In a medium pot, combine all ingredients. Turn the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Let the mixture boil for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the plums are tender.
- Using an immersion blender or stand blender, blend the mixture until it reaches a uniform, smooth consistency.
- Taste and make sure it’s delicious to you. Feel free to adjust the sugar, acid or spices as you want.
- Transfer to jars or plastic containers and refrigerate. Generally this sauce will keep in the refrigerator for months without spoiling.