Spicy Beef Tacos in Lettuce Cups with Dairy Free Cheese Sauce
Recipe by Maddie Rhodes, @dont_stop_beleafing.
Let's taco-bout these ground beef tacos in Local Roots lettuce cups! They are so simple and easy to make, and the vegan cheese sauce will set you free! It's full of amazing Local Roots veggies (potatoes and carrots). I know you probably don't want to turn you oven on this weekend, but I promise these tacos are worth it. So... crank up your AC and get cooking!
To Caramelize Onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced thinly (about 1/4 inch)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat olive oil over medium heat to 1-2 minutes.
- Add sliced onions and salt, and cook covered over low heat for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, uncover onions, and stir. Continue to cook uncovered over medium/medium-low heat until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. This could take about 20 minutes.
To Make Taco Seasoning
- 2 t chili powder
- 1.5 t cumin
- 1.5 t garlic
- 1 t onion
- 1 t pepper
- 1 t salt
- 1 t paprika
- 1/4 t cayenne
- Mix all spices together in a small bowl.
To Make Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 pieces
- 1 cup carrots, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon miso
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 c water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat a pot of water with one teaspoon of salt over high heat until it boils. Once it's boiling, add potatoes, carrots, and cashews, and cook until potatoes and carrots are soft.
- Once potatoes and carrots are soft, strain them and the cashews and add all ingredients in a high speed blender (like a vitamix) and blend until smooth.
To cook beef
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- taco seasoning (recipe above)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook over medium heat while continuously stirring and breaking into small pieces.
- Add taco seasoning when the beef is about 1/2 - 3/4 finished cooking. Continue to stir and break beef into small pieces until cooked through (no longer any pink or red).
To Assemble the Tacos
- Use local roots lettuce as the taco shell, and add caramelized onions, ground beef, and vegan cheese sauce.