Bossa Nova Squash & Clams
Make yourself a good gin & tonic and enjoy in your back yard or terrace or any space with a breeze and some shade. Have an excellent summer you guys.
Recipe by Chef Megan Any questions or comments please feel free to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org
2 lbs of small clams like little necks or mania clams
2 TB of olive oil
1 large shallot chopped small
3 garlic cloves minced or micro planed
1 Tsp of red pepper flakes
1 TB of tomato paste
1/4 cup of white wine
Recipe by Local Roots Recipe Contributor
3 1/3 cups of chicken stock or veg stock
1 cup of fregola or orzo or pearl couscous. I used couscoussaki
1 large bossa nova squash sliced thin on a mnadoline
1/2 cup of chopped parsley
1. Rinse clams in a large bowl under cold water. Then let set under the water. Any clam shells that are cracked throw away.
2. Use a med sized dutch oven with a lid. Heat the oil to med and add the shallot. You want this to soften. Not to get any color. Once softened add the minced garlic and then the chili flakes. Stir so nothing burns and the fragrance hits your face. Then add the tomato paste. Stir till the veg is coated and let the paste "cook" for about 1 min or 2.
3. Add the white wine and let it bubble away. Scrape up any tomato paste that got stuck to the pan. This should be another 2 mins. Then add the chicken stock and let this to come a boil. Once boiling add the grain of your choice and stir. Bring the heat down to simmer and cover. After 3 mins add the squash . stir and cover the pot. In another 8 mins the grains should be cooked and the squash tender. Give a taste and season with salt to your liking.
4. Remove the lid and stir. Then add the clams to the pot. Use a spider or a spoon with holes to remove them from the water. You want none of sand that collected on the bottom of the bowl. Once in the pot , cover and let them open. You want to shake the pot a few times to help them along. This should be an additional 3-6 mins. Your heat should be on med-high. Once they have opened discard any clams that have not.
5. Add 1/4 cup of parsley and give a stir. Ladle into bowls and top with more parsley and serve with lemon wedges. You will want some of that acidity.