Tart Rhubarb Chia Jam
Recipe by Local Roots Recipe Contributor, Abby K. Cannon, @abbysfoodcourt
- 1 pound fresh rhubarb (leaves removed)
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Juice & zest from half a lemon
- Begin by prepping the rhubarb. Chop the stalks in half lengthwise and then chop across so you have small pieces about ½ an inch thick.
- Add the chopped rhubarb to a small sauce pan with 3 tbsp of water. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Once the rhubarb is submerged in water, add the chia seeds and stir. Reduce the heat and continue cooking and stirring for about 20-25 minutes until there aren’t any chunks of rhubarb and the jam has your desired consistency.
- Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Transfer to a glass jar and let cool without a cover before storing in the refrigerator. The jam should last about a week or two in the fridge.
- Enjoy with nut butter on toast, mixed into yogurt, or with some coconut cream for a lovely refreshing dessert!
Note: This jam is super tart because there is not sweetener. It goes really well paired with naturally sweet fruits, like bananas. You can add 2 tbsp of maple syrup instead of the 3 tbsp of water in step 2 to make it sweeter.