Turnip & Rainbow Chard Gratin
Recipe by Claire Matern
6-7 small turnips
2-3 handfuls rainbow chard
Alpage Chaseholm Farm cheese, grated
½ clove garlic
- Top and tail, then peel the turnips using a paring knife before thinly slicing them, either with a knife or mandolin
- Wash the rainbow chard and let drip in a colander. Add a splash of olive oil to a hot skillet and then add the rainbow chard. The residual water on the leaves will be enough to wilt it down.
- While the chard is wilting, rub the cut side of the ½ clove of garlic on the bottom and sides of the baking dish you will be assembling the gratin in. Now is a good time to preheat the oven to 350F too.
- Line the bottom of the baking dish with half the rainbow chard, then arrange half the slices of turnip over the top. Repeat this until all the chard and turnip are in the dish.
- Combine roughly ½ a cup of chicken stock and ½ cup of milk and pour into the baking dish. See how far the liquid goes up the side (you want the liquid to go about halfway (or ¾ will be fine too) up the veggies.
- Dot with some small pieces of butter and add the grated cheese on top. Pop in the oven until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling.