Wilted Spinach, Bacon & Cremini Mushroom Salad
Recipe by Local Roots recipe contributor, Emily Hanhan, @nomnivorous
¼ lb bacon (2 thick slices), cut into lardons
½ lb cremini mushrooms
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon caper brine (or vinegar of your choice)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
6 ounces spinach, stems removed and leaves torn
¼ cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
2-4 tablespoons capers (add more if you love the flavor of capers)
- In a large oven-proof skillet, add the bacon to the pan. Put the pan in the oven and turn the oven to 375 degrees. (Starting in a cold oven and letting the bacon cook with the preheat helps the rendering process.)
- Once the oven is preheated, cook the bacon for an additional 5 minutes.
- While the bacon is in the oven, prep your cremini mushrooms. Separate the stems from the caps of the mushrooms. If the stems are longer, cut them in half. Cut the small caps in half and larger caps in quarters.
- Add the mushrooms and salt to the pan with the bacon. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the caper brine and Dijon mustard.
- Once the mushrooms and bacon is done, remove the pan from the oven. Add the caper & mushroom liquid to the pan and stir together to help the bacon fat incorporate with the acids.
- In a large bowl or platter, add the spinach. Top with the mushroom & bacon dressing and toss together, coating all the spinach with dressing and letting the heat wilt it a bit. Top with the pecans and capers and serve immediately.