Recipe by Local Roots member @clairematern
- Apple (optional)
- Kale (optional)
- Sunchoke (optional)
- Yogurt (optional to make it creamy or mayonnaise
- Decide what shape and thickness you want all the veggies to be. For ease, grate the carrot on the large hole side of a box grater. Or, using a veggie peeler, make thin ribbons. Continue that with the rest of the veggies if you choose, or as carefully as you can, thinly slice them into batons. Add them into a large bowl
- Also by choice, decide how much of each veggie you want. Choose the ratio of color, crunch, spiciness and sweetness you want.
- Thinly slice the shallot and add that into the bowl with the rest of the veggies, as well as an apple some greens or anything else you want to add to the slaw.
- By taste, add a few splashes of apple cider vinegar and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the vinegar and seasoning. To make it creamy add a couple dollops of yogurt or mayo and mix it all together. Adjust until you like the taste and texture.