Plum Cheesecake Galette
This plum cheesecake galette is impressive as it is simple. Plus, it doesn’t take long at all to come together! The great thing about this dessert is its balance: from the tanginess of the cream cheese to the sweetness of these in-season plums, this galette is all held together and wrapped to perfection in a rustic, sugared crust. Sprinkle over the top with some coarse sugar or eat it as is, this treat will be a back-pocket recipe for decades to come.
Ingredients (Pastry Dough):
1 ¼ cup Local Roots all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, diced
1 large Local Roots egg beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
8 ounces Local Roots cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 large Local Roots egg, separated
Pinch of kosher salt
2 ripe Local Roots plums halved, pitted and thinly sliced
⅓ cup lightly packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Pulse flour, sugar and salt in a food processor until combined. Add butter and pulse until it resembles coarse meal mixed with pea-size bits of butter, 10 to 15 times. Add egg mixture and pulse until dough starts to come together, about 10 times. Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, using the plastic to help form it into a disk. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Whisk together the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, egg yolk and salt in a medium bowl until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator, about 45 minutes. Toss plums, brown sugar, cornstarch and vanilla together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Position rack in the center of the oven and place a rimmed baking sheet on it. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sprinkle dough lightly with flour on both sides and roll out on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch round that is about ⅛-inch thick. Transfer dough to a piece of parchment and place on an inverted baking sheet.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border on all sides. Lay plum slices overlapping in concentric circles to cover cream cheese filling. Fold the edges of the dough over the filling, pleating as needed. Brush the crust with the egg white and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Slide galette and parchment paper onto the preheated baking sheet and bake until the crust is golden, about 40 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving, about 30 minutes.
Recipe and Photos by Food Network Kitchen