Strawberry & Orange Summer Cake
Recipe by Local Roots recipe contributor, Emily Hanhan, @nomnivorous
4.5 tablespoons (64 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoons (94 grams) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (94 grams) whole wheat (pastry) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3/8 cup (85 grams) milk
1 large egg
Zest of one orange, lime, lemon or any other fun citrus fruit you can get your hands on
1/4 teaspoon bitters (optional)
12 ounces hulled and halved strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter the inside of an 8" cake pan. If possible, add a parchment circle to the base of the pan for easier cake removal.
- In a bowl of your stand mixer (or a large bowl), measure out the sugar. Take out 1.5 tablespoons sugar and reserve to the side.
- Add the butter to the mixing bowl. Using the paddle attachment of your stand mixer (or a hand mixer), beat on medium speed until pale and fluffy.
- In a bowl, combine the flours, baking powder and salt and whisk together.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg, citrus zest and bitters. Whisk together until the egg is beaten.
- Once the butter and sugar is pale and fluffy, turn the mixer to low speed and slowly add the liquid mixture to the butter. Mix until combined, stopping the mixer at least once to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Keeping the mixer on the lowest setting, slowly add in the flour mixture. You want it to be mixed in until just barely incorporated. Do not over-mix.
- Pour or scoop the cake batter into the prepared pan. Top with the strawberries - feel free to arrange them all nicely, but I just poured them in. Sprinkle the reserved sugar on the strawberries.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 325 degrees. Bake for an additional 50-60 minutes. You're looking for a mostly clean knife when testing cake done-ness.
- Let the cake cool before cutting - this cake is even better the next day!